The Country Universities Centre (CUC) is a not-for-profit organisation, established with the aim of making tertiary education more accessible for regional and remote communities in New South Wales.
Regional youth participation in tertiary education is less than half the rate of their metropolitan counterparts, with the gap widening further in recent years. One of the biggest challenges faced by regional remote students is the absence of a ‘campus’ environment and its associated support and benefits.
The Country Universities Centre is based on a model, which delivers supported learning to these students, providing them with access to campus-level technology, facilities, tutors and a network of fellow students. The NSW Government has recently provided the Country Universities Centre with the funding to establish further centre locations. With this funding, the Country Universities Centre expects to create a network in regional towns. The Goulburn Centre is government locally, and is empowered with the flexibility to adapt to fit our community needs.
At CUC Goulburn, we believe that the success of aspiring students should not be determined by geographical location. The centre will provide the support required to achieve while remaining in the Goulburn region.
The centre facilities include:
- Access to high-speed technology and campus-like facilities with extended opening hours.
- Access to broader range of university pathways
- Strong tutorial support networks
- Ability to source mentors and/or job opportunities through CUC’s industry partnerships.
- Printing and scanning software
- Portable video conferencing with lifesize conferencing software
- Study room with 8 dual screen computers
- Collaborative study space
- Charging points and wifi for BYO devices
- Portable whiteboard
- Kitchenette with fridge, microwave, dishwasher and tea/coffee facilities
- Outdoor table and lounge with wifi access
The vision of the Country Universities Centre Goulburn is to facilitate, deliver, promote and provide access to university education. We aim to:
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the delivery of university education in the Goulburn region
- Facilitate and promote education and career pathways between school, vocational education and training providers, universities and industry.
- Advocate in the best interests of regional students
- Facilitate the transition for school leavers and mature age student to tertiary level education
- Provide a space that is conducive to meaningful and productive study that is dedicated to university students.